I have never done any giveaway or advertisements on my blog. This is really neither of them, but it is an effort from Office Max that I have chosen to support with a blog post in order to help a teacher. I have done so for two very important reasons –
1. Since start work on my start-up Memetales ( a picture book space) and seeing my children grow up (my oldest one just turned 3!) has surely gotten me more passionate about children and education. And in a very selfish way, I want my children to have the right to the best possible education they can have. And I want to do my bit to enable people so that can happen. So, in many ways, I am doing my start-up for my children and this post to help the teachers who carry the responsibility to educate my children.
2. I am a MomItForward chapter leader for the Seattle area and I love the Seattle community! It has really been less than 6 months since I started involving myself in local events and non profit efforts in the Seattle area, but I have loved the people and the community immensely. This is an opportunity for me to give back!
So here goes – and please do make the effort to nominate a person who you think deserves a little thank you
Did you know teachers spend an average of $1200 of their own money on classroom supplies each year? Thatís $4 billion annually! That’s why OfficeMax joined with Adopt-A-Classroom to create “A Day Made Better“óa national cause event founded to erase teacher-funded classrooms. This year, ìA Day Made Betterî will take place on October 6 where 1,000 teachers will be surprised in their classrooms each with $1,000 worth of essential supplies from OfficeMax. Thatís more than one million dollars donated to help teachers! Principals at needy schools nominated the teachers for demonstrating dedication, innovation, and passion.
To pay-it-forward, OfficeMax and Mom It Forward have teamed up to create awareness about the issue of teacher-funded classrooms and to give you the opportunity to get involved and help a teacher in your community on behalf of the ìA Day Made Better.î Hereís howÖ
Simply nominate a teacher of your choice to win this giveaway by following the entry requirements. Be sure to check out the prize and criteria!
One exceptional teacher will receive a ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR gift card to OfficeMax. This can go a long way when it comes to classroom supplies!
This is a giveaway that is meant to be given away. What does that mean? You get to nominate a teacher by sharing why this person is exceptional and deserving of this giveaway. The best part, every story told helps raise awareness in an effort to erase teacher-funded classrooms. The winning teacher will be chosen based on the following criteria, so be sure to tell us why your teacher is most deserving:
- Dedication: does everything in his/her power to deliver the best possible education for his/her students.
- Innovation: thinks outside the box and engages his/her students through creative learning activities & programs.
- Passion: expresses a genuine passion for education and shares this enthusiasm in the classroom.
- Need: demonstrates a need for essential classroom supplies.
To enter your teacher, you are required to do two things.(Note: post a separate comment for each entry.)
1. Enter your nomination as a comment on this blog post!
2. Nominate them through a blog post or on Whrrl.
Write a post on your blog.
- You can include photos, video, etc. but please stay under 400 words or 3 minutes.
- Please include these links: http://adaymadebetter.com or @adaymadebetter.
- Include a link to your post in the comments section.
Create a story on Whrrl.com.
- Go to our custom Whrrl page at http://whrrl.com/search?q=omx, click ìStart A Storyî and upload photos and text about why your teacher is most deserving.
- Be sure to include the #omx hashtag in the text of your story.
- Post a link to your Whrrl story in the comments section.
3. Post these messages on Facebook and/or Twitter.(Note: Be sure to leave comments here with links to your messages.)
- Teachers spend avg $1200 of own $$ on school supplies annually! Help erase teacher-funded classrooms. http://bit.ly/3VUNvC PLS RT #omx
- Nominate a teacher 2 win $100 in OfficeMax classroom supplies. Enter here: PUT YOUR POST URL HERE PLS RT #omx
- Join the ìA Day Made Betterî movement to end teacher-funded classrooms at http://bit.ly/UJ3LF #omx
More than 30 sites are participating in this campaign between now and Sunday, October 4. Visit http://momitforward.com for a list of all the giveaways! You may enter a different teacher on every site, but you may only win once!
Thanks so much for helping pay-it-forward to teachers in your community! Please join us on Tuesdays, September 22 and 29 from 9 to 11 pm ET for Girls Night Out (#gno) on Twitter if youíd like to meet the team behind the cause: @officemax, @adaymadebetter and @Adopt_Classroom. Hope to see you there!